An A-list BAFTA-qualifying festival, Iris has also been identified as one of the “50 film festivals worth the entry fee” by MovieMaker Magazine 5 times. The festival prides itself on sharing the very best of LGBT+ filmmaking in Cardiff each October. This is supported through a worldwide network of partner festivals in 19 countries who nominate films each year, alongside open submissions.
The Iris Prize is supported by The Michael Bishop Foundation and continues to be the largest short film prize in the world. With the winner receiving £30,000 to make their next short film in the UK, Iris is exactly what film makers need – funding, support, and of course a warm welcome into the Iris Prize family. To date 11 short films have been produced with the winning filmmakers of the Iris Prize, with the 12th in pre-production.
Each October, the Iris Prize LGBT+ Film Festival takes place in Cardiff and offers 6 awards.
The Iris Prize Awards
- Iris Prize – Sponsored by The Michael Bishop Foundation, the winner will receive the largest LGBT+ short film prize in the world – valued at £30,000. They will be invited back to the UK to make another LGBT+ short film, benefiting from the very best filming equipment and facilities available in the country, and are offered the chance to sit on the Iris Prize International Jury the following year;
- Iris Prize Best British Short – The winner of the Iris Prize Best British Short 2020 will receive a package of sound post-production services sponsored by Pinewood Studios Group, valued at £20,000. They will also be invited to Cardiff to sit on the 2021 Iris Prize Best British Jury. All films in the Best British 2020 shortlist will be broadcast on Film4 and streamed on their online streaming service, All 4;
- Iris Prize Best Feature Award – sponsored by Bad Wolf;
- Iris Prize Best Performance in a Male Role in a feature film sponsored by Attitude Magazine;
- Iris Prize Best Performance in a Female Role in a feature film sponsored by DIVA Magazine;
- Iris Prize Youth Jury Award for Best Short – sponsored by Cardiff University.