FILM SUBMISSION TIMELINE 2017:
- Submissions Open: Monday 9 January 2017
- Earlybird Deadline: Friday 31 March 2017
- Regular Deadline: Thursday 01 June 2017
- Late Deadline / Submissions Close: Sunday 25 June 2017
- Announce the 15 short films competing for the Iris Prize Best British Short: Wednesday 9 August 2017
- Announce the 35 short films competing for the Iris Prize: Monday 14 August 2017
- Announce full programme including feature films: Tuesday 22 August 2017
A shortlist of 35 entries will be selected for the Iris Prize, 15 entries for the Iris Prize Best British Short, and up to 12 feature films will screen as part of the Iris Prize Festival held in Cardiff, Wales (UK) from Tuesday 10 – Sunday 15 October 2017.
Identified as one of the top 50 film festivals in the world by Movie Maker Magazine for a third year in 2017, our slogan is “Watch films. Party Nightly. Repeat.” Celebrating its 10th birthday in 2016, the six-day event is famed for its friendly atmosphere, with each year seeing more filmmakers and film lovers from around the world adopted into the Iris family. As well as the chance to watch the best in current LGBT filmmaking, the festival features everything from one-off special events and nightly parties to a glittering award show that is often referred to as ‘the gay short film oscars’.
The Iris Prize gives out six film awards at the annual festival in October each year, including the Iris Prize (supported by the Michael Bishop Foundation), which at £30,000 is the largest LGBT short film prize in the world.
Photo: Past winners: Magnus Mork (Norway) 2010, Arkasha Stevenson (USA) 2015, and Till Kleinert (Germany) 2008 attending the Iris Prize Festival’s 10th anniversary celebrations in Cardiff, October 2016. To see the previous winners of the Iris Prize awards, please click here.